Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Your Opinions, My Decision and Simply Serene

Well I have to say that ya'll are just soooooo much fun!!!! I loved reading all your opinions and I wanted to share some of the ideas with you. Thank you very much for your ideas and comments!

First, many of you asked to see the entire quilt unfolded. This is my Rococo Rabbits #1 pattern. I haven't finished writing the pattern yet as I wasn't sure if it was something that people (quilters) would like to buy and make for themselves. Let me know if you think I should finish writing the pattern. You do know they are bunnies right? Ears and feet joined together.

Next, there was a suggestion to fold it in thirds and lay it on the couch. This looks ok, but it doesn't "wow" me because this quilt is pretty big and I think it sticks out too far this way.

Another suggestion was to fold it over the arm of the couch. Again, this looks too big there too.

So what did I decide??? Well, it's like this. Like I said in earlier posts, I have worked in interior design for a long time and have decorated houses for lots of different styles. I have learned that we all have our "comfort, happy, homey" look. Quilters tend to have lots of fabric and clutter and big cozy hearts. Others like lots and lots of color and warmth and they have the warm personality to match. Then there are the super modern folks that like all white and no clutter because they need calm and peacefulness in their hectic, uptight, world. There are more, but only these 3 relate to this story. hee,hee,hee.

So what is my style? Well, it's somewhere in the middle. I love white and how it makes me feel. I like specific clutter, meaning things that speak to me and usually larger scale items, not a lot of nick knacks. I like just a hint or splash of color and not a lot of pattern, just soft flowing lines and texture. Several of my long time readers know my style, but I've finally decided on a name for it, "Simply Serene."

So...I will take the left over yummy fabric and make myself two really big quilted pillows that can be laid on, cuddled, squished and washed. They will give me just enough color and pattern without being overload on my eyes. They will tie the colors of the rug in, yet not compete with the color of the drapes in the background.  They will be "Simply Serene."

Thanks again my friends. Ya'll truly are soooooooooo much fun!
Love ya bunches!
Michelle

16 comments:

Julie said...

Shell: I love the idea of two really big,squishy pillows. Where is the quilt going? It's a beautiful quilt!!!!

Annette Tait said...

Beautiful colours all working perfectly together Shell!
I like the idea of the two cushions and if you think that the pattern and colours may get just too much, then a plain backing that can be turned around may be ideal? (but I bet you are doing that already??)
I think I would have the throw all crumpled up in a swishy snake pile across the sofa. I love serenity but I think I need tiny dashes of chaos around too.

I see Razzy is in the Demolition business?? Sugie must be supervising :)

Sea Witch said...

Lovely quilt and I think the best way to display it is wrapped around my body!!! Sea Witch

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Shell:
I like your style, girlfriend! You really are "Simply Serene". I love your quilt and your ideas for the squishy pillows. Perfect! You always work it out, don't you?
Big Squishy Hugs,
Donna
:-)

Hef's Mom said...

Tuck the quilt into the drawer of the table and if ever you get to nap, there it is! I usually fall asleep on the couch with a blanket and the pillows you made.

The French Bear said...

Shell, that's a wonderful idea....when you place it there the drape color enhances the whole look!!! Gorgeous, you are so smart!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Yes you should finish the pattern!!
I like pillows---but somehow the quilt needs to be near by--maybe in a basket or????
I see I am not the only one trying to figure out her "style"--I do not fit any of the normal types people talk about--so I will have to come up with a name for mine--when I get it figured out---my problem is I like tooooo many things!!!
and colors--orange is my only NO-NO!!
Hugs, Di

Maggey and Jim said...

I really like how you figured that out. And I agree on the pillows, perfect.......
Maggey

Fleurette said...

Beautiful quilt Michelle and I love the colours, yes , write it!

Karen M said...

Nice idea, Shell. Will you include instructions for the pillow layout with the quilt pattern? Or have instructions separately for someone who just wants the pillows? Or both options? It is fun to watch you work through the process.

Mandy Saile said...

What a beautiful quilt Shell, wow....I hope Sugie is feeling better? It is weird that her and Jin had very similar health scares at the same time isn't it. Anyhow I've been thinking of you and yours and hoping everyone was well again and on the mend:D XXOO Mandy.

Jo Potter said...

Hi Shell,
I thought for a change I would leave you a comment on one of your posts, that does not feature Sugie and Razzy!:)
Your Rococo Rabbit quilt is wonderful... I use to love sewing patchwork, when I was little. I only did small bits of sewing though.
This quilt has amazing detail with the rabbits and your home is really stunning!
It is lovely to see you in your elegant surroundings, on your past blog posts and the white rabbit necklace looks great on you!:)
I'm so pleased you are still enjoying wearing the pendant!

Hugs to you and the bunnies.
Jo.xx

Wendy said...

Hi Michelle, the quilt unfolded is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to cozy up in this quilt. I like the idea of your making pillows. Also you should finish writing the pattern. I would definately buy one from you.

Sparklyjools said...

Cushions! Brilliant! x

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl! You have to finish this pattern. Make it and they will come! I definitely think quilters would want to make this.

Trust me,

Lea

Darlene said...

MAKE SURE YOU WRITE THAT PATTERN!!! Don't you dare not finish this... I'm sure plenty of people will be wanting your beautiful pattern (me included and I don't even have any bunnies... hehe). The pattern itself plus the gorgeous colours are my favourite.

ps: if it's not to much clutter and you have a wall big enough - a quilted wall hanging.

pps: the cushions idea is fantastic ( you should include that in the quilt pattern too...)

ppps: whatever idea you come up with - it will be wonderful!

take care - have a gorgeous day

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...