Friday, July 11, 2014

Hoppy Friday! Lindsey Stirling, Best Friends and SUP

Hi ya! Hoppy Friday!

So what do Lindsey Stirling, Best Friends and Stand Up Paddle-Boarding have in common? Well they are three things I was very grateful for two weeks ago.


I had backstage passes to meet Lindsey Stirling in person! There were about 50-75 of us. We all lined up to meet her, have a photo taken and have her autograph something. What I found to be so nice is she gave each person a hug, asked their name and thanked them for coming to support her! What a super sweet girl!


I had her sign the CD cover for her new album (LOVE IT and you can buy it at Target), but I also gave her a gift.

 
I made her a honey bunny postcard. On the back I wrote a note in which I thanked her for sharing her beautiful gift of music with the world and how her music makes working in my studio a very "hop-bee" place to be. I included a little photo of Harrington and Hannah stating they were her fans. She asked me what I did and I told her I was a textile folk artist and crazy bunny lady. I told her my rescue bunnies live in my studio.


At the end of the concert, she thanked everyone for supporting her. She said nobody in the music industry believed in her and it was a hard road full of doubt and uncertainty. It was her fans who believed in her, made her dreams come true and she was grateful for all of us. Boy could I relate to that! Then she said she had the best time at the meet and greet and that she had met an artist and loved that everyone is so different, yet we all have a love of music in common. I had the biggest smile on my face. I guess she liked my gift.

The video at the bottom of the post is the actual opening act that night. Beth and I were right up at the front of the stage. This video was shot by somebunny behind us. It starts out dark because of the curtain, but stay tuned, it's worth watching. Beth and I stood for over 6 hours that night. Our old bodies felt it the next day. Sure is different seeing a concert at 16 versus 46. ;)

So that brings me to the second thing I was grateful for, my best friend of 34 years, Beth. Yep, we have been best friends since we were 12. We chat on the phone weekly, but she lives in West Virginia and I'm in North Carolina so we only get to see each other once a year. We meet up for some kind of adventure together.



Now mind you, we may be best friends, but we are polar opposites. Beth is athletic, strong, very smart, analytical and focused. Me? Well, I'm a crazy bunny lady who's mind runs wild hoping from one thing to the next, likes Starbucks coffee black, drinks red wine and talks to bunnies all day long like they really care what I have to say. I walk the neighborhood while Beth runs a 5k.

I heard a saying once about friendships like ours. The friendships that start when you are children. It said that they last because you met each other and knew each other when you were just you. I was just Shell and she was just Beth. When you get older and meet someone, the first things you say are "What do you do? Do you have children?" When you are little you simply say, "Hi, I'm Shell, what is your name?"


So, being the polar opposites we are and planning something fun for both of us on our yearly adventure, I planned the Lindsey concert while Beth planned Stand Up Paddle Boarding. Here we are getting ready to head out into the inlet. Oh my...


Now I wasn't worried about falling off as I have good balance and I can roller blade. I grew up in Virginia Beach and I'm not afraid of the water at all. 


What I was worried about is I have no upper body strength. I have snowman arms. Yep that's right, they are STICKS! Paddling against the wind was really hard. At one point I got down on my knees and silently yelled to myself, Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!  I also imagined a new Folk Art Fusion design I've been working on. It has turtles  with bunnies sitting on them with megaphones. You know, the tortoise and the hare kinda thing. That took my mind off the fact that I might be blown out to sea. hee,hee,hee.

But alas I made it and out of yet another crazy adventure Beth has talked me into. At least this one I walked away from without my knees knocking, being out of breath and in fear for my life. I actually had fun and would do it again. Perhaps on a less windy day. ;)

So, I'm grateful that life brings wonderful adventures with wonderful friends and creates wonderful moments in time to be treasured always.


Enjoy the video and let me know what you are grateful for this week!

xx,
Michelle and the Bunnies

ONE FINAL NOTE: I WILL BE AWAY ALL NEXT WEEK. ANY ORDERS PLACED IN MY SHOP WILL NOT BE MAILED UNTIL JULY 20TH. 


16 comments:

Christine M said...

I've never seen stand up paddle boarding before. Looks tricky to me! Have a lovely weekend Shell. xx

Erica said...

Looks like fun! Best friends are very special, you are so blessed to have one.

KaHolly said...

Wow! She's incredible! She's 'energized', just like I picture you being!! If that's what you listen to while you work, no wonder you accomplish so much! Never tried paddle boarding, but it sure looks like fun. Glad you had such a fun get-together with your best friend. Enjoy your time away.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Your post reminded me of the song, "Make New Friends, But Keep The Old, One Is Silver And The Other Gold. You are blessed to have a friend from childhood. When I think of childhood friends, most of the close ones have passed away. Your adventure on the river looks fun, but a bit frightening as well. I guess that adds to the excitement! Off to watch the video.
xo,
Deb

Mosaic Magpie said...

Lindsey Stirling! Wow what energy she has...you needed her helping you paddle! I agree with a previous comment, that if you listen to Lindsey's music while working, no wonder you get so much done!
Deb

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

SHELL!!!!!!!!! I have noticed this sport here at Lake of the Isles and it's fascinating! I am afraid of the water since I don't swim, but I think I'd be rather good at it! I agree about what you say about friendships, but of course, many things are just more pure when you are kids....those friendships from way back are so special. You look great on the paddle, at the concert, and you've got a fan right here. AND I love that bunny and bee card, and treasure the one you sent me.

I will miss your posts, and sending you a big hug, Anita

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a great photo of you and Lindsey!!! I love her music too and I'm sure I first heard about her from your blog Michelle! The paddle boarding looks like fun and how neat to have a special friend like Beth!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm grateful for women like you who remind me to have fun with everything! :) blessings, marlene

kc said...

She reminds me of a butterfly, flitting from flower to flower, blessing them each with her presence and grace! And lookit you GO, gurrrl, with your bad-butt self, standing up there and paddling like a pro! Proud of ya for having the courage to try something new (and scary!). They do it down here, in FL, out in King's Bay, where the manatee swim. I think I'll stick to our little canoe, tho, so if they do come close to investigate (they're such curious critters), I won't be dunked by their passing by. I'm not terribly fond of dunkings, shall we say.

Enjoy your time away, and thanks for sharing your happenings!

(I'll share my thankful moments a little more privately)

Lana said...

That looks like soooo much fun!!! (the music...that is...hehehe)

I am very thankful for three things this week.

A new job.

A husband that cried with me when we thought our little bunny that literally adopted us, was so sick we thought it was the end.

That same little bunny that has made a wonderful comeback if only to keep my man and I from giving him anymore icky medicine!!!


WE ARE VERY THANKFUL THIS WEEK TOO!

Annette Tait said...

ha ha so awesome!! good on ya : )
grateful? - grateful for you sharing one of your dreams come true :)
the better it gets the better it gets xxx<3

Donna Nowicki French said...

That's so great! You are the one that introduced me to Lindsey's music and she has always reminded me of you. Take care girlfriend.

RG said...

Aw - what a good bunch of good! Thanks for sharing.

Listen - have you seen this gadget - you put on a backpack and these boots with a long hose that is hooked up to one of those water sea-doo speedy deals. You pull the trigger and the water jet squirts through the hose and out of your boots and up you go - maybe 15 feet or more ... you can scoot all over the lake, even dive yourself right under water! That is next - right?

Starr White said...

LOL! I thought Lindsey was tiny, and there she is towering over you! You really are a hobbit, aren't you? Oh so glad you got to meet her and I think it's so great that you gave her a little gift too. You are so sweet! Beth is lucky to have a best friend like you :)

Allie said...

I am so thrilled you got to meet Lindsey, and what a treasure you gave her - she won't soon forget you girl! Thank you for sharing her music with all of us. Good heavens you are tiny, Shell.....I remember those days, but you never got over it, lol!!!! Glad you had a good time with your bestie, hon, and got to do something so memorable!!!

Createology said...

How wonderful to visit your childhood friend and have fun. You are very brave to paddle board. Love the gifts (verbal and felted) you gave to Lindsey who makes such beautiful music. I am so happy to be home and recovering and enjoying my favorite blogs...so much to catch up with in Bunnyville.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...